A nuclear stress test lets doctors see pictures of your heart while you are resting and shortly after you have
exercised. The test can give information about the size of the heart's chambers, how well the heart is pumping
blood, and whether the heart has any damaged or dead muscle. Nuclear stress tests can also give doctors
information about your arteries and whether they might be narrowed or blocked because of coronary artery disease.
1. Average time for the entire nuclear stress test is about 3 hours.
2. An intravenous line will be started for this test.
3. Bring a snack with you to eat at the designated time.
4. Wear (or bring) loose clothes and walking shoes. Females, please bring in short sleeve t-shirt if you will be wearing a sweater or long sleeve shirt. You will be asked to remove your bra for the imaging portion of the test.
5. The lab has to stay cool for the equipment. You may want to bring a jacket or sweater.
6. ON THE MORNING OF THE TEST:
Please fast for 4 hours before test unless you are diabetic. You may have small sips of water with
7. 24 HOURS BEFORE YOUR EXAM TIME DO NOT CONSUME:
8. IF YOU ARE TAKING INSULIN:
Do NOT adjust your regular schedule. Try to eat and drink as you
usually would, however, please note instructions in item 7.
9. DO TAKE THE FOLLOWING MEDICATIONS 24 HOURS BEFORE YOUR EXAM TIME, UNLESS TOLD OTHERWISE:
(If you're not sure whether your medications fall under one of these descriptions, please all the office.
There is contact information provided at the bottom of this instruction page.)
PLEASE DON'T STOP MEDICATIONS SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SURE WHICH ONES MAY BE A PROBLEM.
10. Please bring your Medication in their original bottles that you were asked to hold for the test, as well as
any breathing medications (Inhalers, etc.)
11. Try to drink at LEAST 32 oz. of water the day before your exam AND at least 8 oz. the hour before you
arrive for your test.
12. If you need to change or cancel your appointment please call the office at least 24 hours prior to your
exam time. The medicine we use is ordered specifically for you and cannot be returned. If you do not
show or cancel with little notice, you may be billed the cost of the medication ($370).
13. The weight limit on our camera is 300 pounds. If your weight exceeds this, please contact our office so
other arrangements can be made.
14. If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or nursing, please contact the office IMMEDIATELY. We do not normally perform this test during these circumstances.